Sunday, May 29, 2011

Father & Son's Outing Cancun Style

This Friday & Saturday was the traditional CUD (LDS) Annual Kahab Stake Aaronic Priesthood campout. This was the selected site.  Kin-Ha Cenote out off the Avenue of the Cenotes in Quintana Roo, Mexico. For you non Mayans, a cenotes is a underground well. The Yucatan Peninsula has no above ground rivers. It is honeycombed with many underground rivers with numerous access points which create caves with pools of fresh water. These cenotes are the source for all water for drinking, irrigation and anything else your can use water for. Many have been converted into swimming areas, scuba diving down thru the many caverns they create. Most are very primitive areas. There is no running water, showers, restrooms or other public facilities.. This is rural..
Here is the only electrical power in the area... This power station (2 solar panels0 which provide for lighting the shack where you pick up your life vests for swimming in the cenote and swing in a hammock.
This rooster seemed to be in charge... There were numerous chickens running about... He also provided wake up call starting at 5am and continued until at least 8am when everyone was finally up.
Here is one of the ward's campers. They had to walk into the camp from the main road on a very dusty dirt road for 18 kilometers (about 15 miles)... This ole duffer caught the supply truck...
Here are some of the leaders.
Besides swimming in a underground cavern there were zip lines set up in the trees that the boys could fly thru the air on a pulley and go from one platform to another... My zip line day are past... But, I know they found the active exciting for them and the younger leaders took a turn at being kids again... I passed.... I will go with the stories ole duffers tell of "back in the day"...
Here is the Young men's First Counselor of the Kahab Stake... Nice young guy, works for American Airlines at the airport. He really relates well with the young men.

Still don't have a good camera, these are a few of the photos I took with my iPhone.. Most didn't work well, either because of the lack of talent behind the shutter or the lighting.

I am certain it will be my last Father and Son's event... This is for the young ...That isn't me... I did all the roughing it I need for a life time compliments of the US Army.  Those of you that know me, roughing it is hotels without room service..

It was hot and humid, the bed was sandstone with a light sleeping bag for a cushion. There was no accommodations for me, the single person over 50 on the trip... But, they were all kind to me and left me to be content and just watch...

Too bad, youth is wasted on the young....
A good time was had by all .. Even me ... But, I didn't tell them that!

2 comments:

  1. Love it. Looks like the church is alive and well in your area.

    ReplyDelete
  2. And growing... we are about to split the Stake into two Stakes.

    ReplyDelete